Relocation of a child

You need the consent of the other parent if you want to relocate with your child.  If no agreement can be reached then an application can be made to the Court asking permission to relocate with the child or children.  It is called a Relocation Application and can be made prior to the intended relocation, or after a party has relocated. It is important to note that if you simply move interstate for example and the other party has not consented, they can either make a Court Application to bring the child(ren) back or restrain you from moving until the Court is able to finally determine the case with all of the relevant evidence.  Such a case could take 6-12 months to determine.
Ultimately, the Court has to decide the right to freedom of movement and what is in the best interests of the child(ren).